精华好帖回顾

· 2012越南游 (2012-8-11) haining · 难忘一刻-茶宝宝出生小记(修改补充中) (2005-2-8) icelemontea
· 拿到会计工作offer,与大家分享经验 (2006-3-4) kid-o · 陈年旧事系列21 - 澳洲小伙子的收获 (2006-11-19) SuiYi
Advertisement
Advertisement
查看: 907|回复: 2

[澳洲资讯] 老狐狸要花$540,000修缮饭厅?没门 [复制链接]

发表于 2007-5-21 21:29 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 忘记密码 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 忘记密码 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21769352-2,00.html

PM spits out $540,000 dinner bill
By Maria Hawthorne   May 21, 2007 05:49pm
    *  Plans for room fitting up to 20 diners
    * Building work estimated to cost $475,000
    * MPs said no need for costly work at suite

PRIME Minister John Howard has scrapped plans for a $540,000 extension to a private dining room in his Parliament House suite.

Officials in Mr Howard's department had been considering knocking down a wall to create a larger dining room capable of hosting dinners for up to 20 people.

Mr Howard's wife Janette was involved in the meeting at which the plan was first discussed.

A Senate estimates committee was told today that the rough estimate for the building work alone had come in at $475,000 - enough to buy a house in most capital cities.

But late today, a spokesman for Mr Howard said the work would not go ahead.

"There was a proposal to increase the size of the area but the Government has decided not to proceed," a spokesman for Mr Howard said.

More than $65,000 has already been spent on architect and consultant fees for the extension, the committee was told today.

And the architect drawing up the plans recommended spending $200,000 on new furniture for the enlarged room - a proposal Mr Howard's office immediately rejected.

Labor senators spent an hour trying to get the projected cost of the extension out of public servants at today's hearing.

Senate President Paul Calvert refused to table the document outlining the estimated cost, accusing Labor senators John Faulkner and Penny Wong of wanting to make a "cheap headline".

"There's nothing cheap about this headline, I'll tell you. This is $475,000 plus consultants' fees of $65,000, plus the furniture and refurbishment. That's no cheap headline Senator Calvert," Senator Faulkner said.

"Four hundred and seventy five thousand dollars, not including the furniture, not including the fit-out, and not including any of the consultants' or architects' fees. Four hundred and seventy five thousand dollars, and of course the Prime Minister would want it covered up.

"It is the cost of a house, of course it is. This is just outrageous."

The alterations were costed at $205,000 in September 2005 but by late last year, the rough estimate had gone up to $475,000, Department of Parliamentary Services deputy secretary David Kenny said.
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2007-5-21 21:31 |显示全部楼层

评论也是异常精彩,反对的占多数

此文章由 忘记密码 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 忘记密码 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
He could get it furnished on the cheap at IKEA..

Posted by: Sheridan of the hill 9:00pm today
Comment 22 of 22
Who Cares?? I think any world leader should have a fancy dining room to entertain VIP's.

Posted by: Powder 8:59pm today
Comment 21 of 22
Is it just possible that if Rudd gets the gig then the same people complaining now will wholeheartedly support the refurbishment of the dining room?

Posted by: Karl of Perth 8:58pm today
Comment 20 of 22
What a Joke! $540,000 could set me up for life with change left over. How could that price be serious for a dining room? Costello says I will notice the difference in my back pocket when I get my $14 tax saving in July. That's an insult mate!

Posted by: Priscilla 8:57pm today
Comment 19 of 22
Howard's scrapped revamp, is it a core or a non core promise?

Posted by: Sami 8:49pm today
Comment 18 of 22
Sorry but it sounds like this is not where we host foreign dignitaries. It is not even a facelift or upgrade to the room. It is infact an "extension" of an existing "private" dining room in his own suite. For all those people that support him, can you not conceed that perhaps it was a bit rich of him to think that this was acceptable.

Posted by: David of London 8:43pm today
Comment 17 of 22
On Ya John! Spend up big before you get public housing hey!

Posted by: Muz of Gold Coast 8:37pm today
Comment 16 of 22
The man who claims to be just an ordinary bloke want an extraordinary dining room.

Posted by: Sam Gioskos 8:37pm today
Comment 15 of 22
John, you can spend my tax dollars on a new dining room anytime.

Posted by: David of Adelaide 8:36pm today
Comment 14 of 22
I don't think I can afford to keep John Howard in the style he has become accustomed to. I think I'll have to let him go ... nothing personal ... just operational reasons.

Posted by: Simon of Sydney 8:32pm today
Comment 13 of 22
What a greta idea, he can now spend the money on the crazy media campaigns which are wasting more of the publics money !!!!!

Posted by: Jeff of Sydney 8:17pm today
Comment 12 of 22
Well it seems that after it was released publicly he decided not to do it. Now just think about that. If it was a serious overhaul of the dining room and not a perk of the office then why did he turn around so fast and forget about it?

Posted by: John of Windsor, QLD 8:16pm today
Comment 11 of 22
This is just another reason to bash Howard. This dining room is for Parliament House probably to host distinguished guests and other world leaders. Why does everyone jump a conclusion and assume its Howard building this for his own benefit?? Please people stop going out there and looking for stupid little reasons to bash Howard and remember which Government has got us to the wonderful position we are all in today.

Posted by: Marco 8:09pm today
Comment 10 of 22
It is a dining room for the leader of our country to entertain dignitaries. Who cares what the cost is. What is that, like .0001% of the budget? People should get a grip on the relative cost compared to the relative importance of what the room may be used for! Although 500k does seem a bit steep. What is it made out of? Marble?

Posted by: Nick of Perth 8:04pm today
Comment 9 of 22
John Howard spend your own money on it. Hopefully you are gone soon and can organise the retirement village christmas party. I can't afford a house, you don't care, it's time to go.

Posted by: John Heap of bris 8:03pm today
Comment 8 of 22
He has done far worst things and yous still cannot open your eyes, but go on, keep watching your tele and admiring your controlled media and leave the real problems for the future generations, although it might be too late by then

Posted by: boston of SA 8:02pm today
Comment 7 of 22
Cheap headlines put people off Liberals, which is what Labour publicists intend. I hope we will not lose a very competent and proven long term government over this! Imagine a White House with an old looking oval room (what would you think of the head of state?)

Posted by: Ross 8:02pm today
Comment 6 of 22
I'm sure if he wasn't so far behind in the polls he would be quite happily spending and ignoring the fallout.

Posted by: Seano 8:01pm today
Comment 5 of 22
Last week the controversy was the bank CEO who paid himself $33 million a year. This week I reckon the biggest controversy is the architect that charges $65K for a quote!

Posted by: Ali of Brisbane 8:01pm today
Comment 4 of 22
Can someone please tell me what the PM's wife had got to do with the spending of public money?

Posted by: Mark Singham 7:17pm today
Comment 3 of 22
And people still want this guy to run the country. All i have to say is wow what opulence they must have! Half a million for a dining room. In an age where young people like myself are looking for our own home and have a tough time getting into the market and where other people are struggling to make repayments, it makes us really wonder who he is looking after.

Posted by: tman 7:01pm today
Comment 2 of 22
Howard has only decided against it after Labor bought it to light.

Posted by: chris of brisbane 6:17pm today
Comment 1 of 22

发表于 2007-5-29 20:08 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 hueofwind 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 hueofwind 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
所有的总理都是住在Canberra的,就是这个老家伙一定要住在Sydney,把大笔纳税人的钱花费在每天的交通上!

发表回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Advertisement
Advertisement
返回顶部