精华好帖回顾

· 【全部更新完】2019年九日纽约华盛顿自由行 (2019-8-28) lotuses · 福州鱼丸的成功尝试 (2012-5-13) daniello
· [摄出你的足迹]-- 一条废驴的影像生活 (2013-1-13) autrant · 我喜欢的音乐剧之《音乐之声》 (2008-9-22) 太阳星辰
Advertisement
Advertisement
查看: 8230|回复: 44

[其他] 金融危机征文- Good Bye Investment Bank [复制链接]

发表于 2008-11-21 21:40 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 西关少爷 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 西关少爷 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
I remember someone made a comment here few months ago saying he couldn’t wait to see the Australian property market collapse. I warned him that he probably wouldn’t have a job by then. He replied saying: “I don’t think so.”

I hope he still has a job and enjoys the relatively low interest rate environment. Truly, in the economic down turn, no one is the winner.

In comparison to many years gone by where industries such as manufacturing, construction and building experienced cyclical highs and lows and the banking industry saw years of highs – the financial storm this year has seen the ‘good times’ slow down.  

I was working in a global Investment bank. I went out to the financial market every day to raise fund for our clients. I was having ‘fun’ every single day. I don’t believe that many bankers would have stressful job than I had. My job was 10 times harder than it was. The rating agencies require information 10 times more than ever. Delinquencies, LVR … You name it. I got use to see the bad news from our European colleagues when I opened my email every morning. I often dreamed about work in the middle of the night.

It is most bankers’ dream to work in an investment bank. The reason is very simple – Money. However, everything comes with a price. In the economic downturn, the investment banks axe their headcount lot more aggressively than any other industry in this planet.

In comparison, the commercial banks benefit from not being in the wholesale financing market, being in retail banking there is less impact to them.  Mortgages in good shape and being a low cost provider, lean and well prepared also helps.  Compared to investment banks they are lean on their resources which means not a lot to cut back.

When I approached my head hunters, I was told to stick with my job. Simply because the market was ABSOULUTELY DEAD and NO ONE WAS HIRING. They had never ever used such terms to me.

I must have done something seriously right in my previous life. I applied for a position advertised in the AFR and got an interview immediately and they made me an offer within 3 weeks ………… Good Bye Investment Bank. Thank God I am out of there!

Friend of mine works for government. They received about one hundred applications for a position advertised, whereas they hardly received anyone application in the past as everyone wants to join the Investment Banks.

My friends all hear news of redundancies from other companies and are concerned about their jobs.  Many are changing their spending habits and saving more due to the market.

Bonus - Bankers usually get a bonus after the financial year ended. Under the current market conditions, many would say having a job is a bonus.

Super - much of super value has been written off dramatically. My mate's super lost 50% recently; other friend aged 58 has to extend his working life due to the huge lost in his superfund.

I was chatting with a colleague and saw an advertisement sitting on his desk this afternoon. His contract finishes in few weeks time. I asked him: “You are not going to work in Canberra while your family stays in Sydney, are you” Guess how he replied??

[ 本帖最后由 西关少爷 于 2008-11-22 07:21 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 16积分 +260 收起 理由
紫雪花 + 10 你太有才了
xingbu + 10 谢谢奉献
bffbffbff + 8 偶对你的景仰如滔滔江水

查看全部评分

Advertisement
Advertisement

退役斑竹 2008年度奖章获得者 特殊贡献奖章

发表于 2008-11-21 21:44 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 steveking 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 steveking 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
他要居家赴(坎)京?

发表于 2008-11-21 21:45 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 terry11 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 terry11 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
好文....

发表于 2008-11-21 21:59 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 jasonliu234 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 jasonliu234 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
he replied that working is top priority no matterh where, he'd like get his whole family with him if he can.

发表于 2008-11-21 22:01 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 西关少爷 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 西关少爷 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 jasonliu234 于 2008-11-21 22:59 发表
he replied that working is top priority no matterh where, he'd like get his whole family with him if he can.

haha, Aussies will never say Working is my priority.

评分

参与人数 1积分 +8 收起 理由
紫雪花 + 8

查看全部评分

发表于 2008-11-21 22:04 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 jasonliu234 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 jasonliu234 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 西关少爷 于 2008-11-21 23:01 发表

haha, Aussies will never say Working is my priority.

it depends

and congratulations on your new job

it's hard to get a new job within three weeks

you're champion

[ 本帖最后由 jasonliu234 于 2008-11-21 23:05 编辑 ]
恢复人体的秩序,让免疫力自己去治病。
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2008-11-21 22:05 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 FOR 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 FOR 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
不错,继续等待下文

发表于 2008-11-21 22:06 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 jasonliu234 于 2008-11-21 23:04 发表

it depends

and congratulations on your new job

it's hard to get a new job within three weeks

you're champion

thanks. I am just extremely lucky.

评分

参与人数 1积分 +10 收起 理由
紫雪花 + 10

查看全部评分

发表于 2008-11-21 22:13 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 干物女 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 干物女 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
楼主真的是很幸运,不过更重要的是你有实力才会被雇佣方看中。恭喜楼主

评分

参与人数 1积分 +3 收起 理由
西关少爷 + 3 HEHE,我很赞同

查看全部评分

退役斑竹

发表于 2008-11-22 06:56 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 Artcore 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Artcore 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
恭喜LZ, 3个星期换成新工作, 牛!

而且还是AFR刊登的工作, 肯定是很高的职位, 更牛!

出于好奇, 新工作是哪个行业啊?

发表于 2008-11-22 08:47 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 sweeet 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 sweeet 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
恭喜楼主,不过这个英文。。。
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2008-11-22 09:18 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 perhaps_love 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 perhaps_love 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 sweeet 于 2008-11-22 09:47 发表
恭喜楼主,不过这个英文。。。

Who care. 支持LZ

退役斑竹

发表于 2008-11-22 09:19 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 阿Ka 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 阿Ka 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
偶对少爷的敬仰如滔滔江水。。。

发表于 2008-11-22 10:26 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 bulaohu 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 bulaohu 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 sweeet 于 2008-11-22 09:47 发表
恭喜楼主,不过这个英文。。。

人家英文很好啊,有几个小错,但表达准确,而且相当地道

评分

参与人数 1积分 +1 收起 理由
飞儿 + 1 我很赞同

查看全部评分