精华好帖回顾

· 弦乐琴童练琴中遇到的问题汇总 (2011-5-16) DancingKeys · LD说我太胖。 (2009-1-13) tonyy
· 墨尔本激光除毛攻略 (2011-12-7) beibeiying · 我所遇到的几个孩子,和几个带孩子的老人。 (2010-6-21) Tasmanzhu
Advertisement
Advertisement
楼主:洋八路

英文小说佳句欣赏 [复制链接]

发表于 2011-5-26 10:29 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 洋八路 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 洋八路 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
57. ‘Do you want to be a gentleman, to spite her or gain her over?’ Biddy quietly asked me, after a pause.
‘I don’t know,’ I moodily answered.
‘Because, if it is to spite her,’ Biddy pursued, ‘I should think – but you know best – that might be better and more independently done by carrying nothing for her words. And if it is to gain her over, I should think – but you know best – she was not worth gaining over.’
Exactly what myself had thought, many times. Exactly what was perfectly manifest to me at the moment. But how could I, a poor dazed village lad, avoid that wonderful inconsistency into which the best and wisest of men fall every day?
'It may be quite true,’ said I to Biddy, ‘but I admire her dreadfully.’   Charles Dickens [Great Expectation]

-- I (主人公) 被一个贵族女孩(her) 看不起, 说他 coarse and common, 他感到很屈辱,他的朋友 Biddy 帮他开脱.. 可是他还是没有办法,他就是 admire her dreadfully...   单相思,‘爱’不符合逻辑。。

[ 本帖最后由 洋八路 于 2011-5-26 10:40 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 1积分 +4 收起 理由
floraz + 4 奇怪的情感,爱,即使被伤害

查看全部评分

英文写作老师
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-27 09:55 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 洋八路 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 洋八路 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
58. Down in the west the setting sun had left a streak of fiery red, which glared upon, the desolation for an instant, like a sullen eye, and frowning lower, lower, lower yet, was lost in the thick gloom of darkest night. -- Charles Dickens [ A Christmas carol]

-- 夕阳西下。。
英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-27 12:13 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 Grange 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Grange 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
洋8路是狄更斯的忠实粉丝啊,呵呵,最喜欢大卫科波菲尔。

发表于 2011-5-27 12:19 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 osborne99 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 osborne99 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
学习和膜拜一下,我想学英语

发表于 2011-5-27 12:35 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 Grange 于 2011-5-27 12:13 发表
洋8路是狄更斯的忠实粉丝啊,呵呵,最喜欢大卫科波菲尔。

找出点句子分享一下嘛。。大卫的好看吗?接下来,就要看这本了。。现在觉得看名著可以最大程度“炒作”单词和句型。。。倒不是粉丝啥的,我从来不作粉丝,呵呵。。
英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-27 13:03 |显示全部楼层

回复 洋八路 275# 帖子

此文章由 Grange 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Grange 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
我好久没看小说了,上次看的一本是ANGELA'S ASHES,大约一年前了。  下次找出来分享一下。

老实讲,我觉得这些古典名著里用的语法和词汇有点过时了,就好像三国水浒一样。
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-27 13:41 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 Grange 于 2011-5-27 13:03 发表
我好久没看小说了,上次看的一本是ANGELA'S ASHES,大约一年前了。  下次找出来分享一下。

老实讲,我觉得这些古典名著里用的语法和词汇有点过时了,就好像三国水浒一样。

但是,看了三国水浒, 再看现代的东西,会不会觉得容易点呢?这叫先难后易。。dickens的东西,思维和文句的流动性很好,单词量和句子形式也变换多端,而且还有点‘高贵和绅士’风度,一般流行小说很难比得上(我也老实讲了,呵呵)。。

评分

参与人数 1积分 +2 收起 理由
floraz + 2 可是挺难读进去,我觉得

查看全部评分

英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-27 14:10 |显示全部楼层

回复 洋八路 277# 帖子

明白

发表于 2011-5-28 12:41 |显示全部楼层
59. 'I'll tell you, ' said she, in the same hurried passionate whisper, 'what real love is. It is blind devotion, unquestioning self-humiliation, utter submission, trust and belief against yourself and against the whole world, giving up your whole heart and soul to the smiter -- as I did!'   - Charles Dickens [Great Expectation]

-- 爱 = 受虐?
英文写作老师

退役斑竹

发表于 2011-5-28 18:24 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 floraz 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 floraz 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 洋八路 于 2011-5-28 12:41 发表
59. 'I'll tell you, ' said she, in the same hurried passionate whisper, 'what real love is. It is blind devotion, unquestioning self-humiliation, utter submission, trust and belief against yourself an ...

umm这种love鸭梨好大
我若不坚强,谁替我坚强

发表于 2011-5-28 23:47 |显示全部楼层

回复 洋八路 269# 帖子

此文章由 拙泥 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 拙泥 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
我这才注意到, "subdue"  (vt.)是有意的bring under control, or make less intense; "subside" (vi) 是自然的 sink to a lower level.

By the way,  what do they change horses for?

评分

参与人数 1积分 +2 收起 理由
floraz + 2 感谢分享

查看全部评分

Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-29 00:31 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 暖暖 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 暖暖 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
每句都好美啊!
可是。。。好多都需要翻译才能看清楚啊。。。昏。。~

评分

参与人数 2积分 +4 收起 理由
拙泥 + 2 我也经常需要查字典. 加油!
洋八路 + 2 慢慢来,会越看越清楚的。。

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-5-29 03:01 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 洋八路 于 2011-5-26 08:29 发表
57. ‘Do you want to be a gentleman, to spite her or gain her over?’ Biddy quietly asked me, after a pause.
‘I don’t know,’ I moodily answered.
‘Because, if it is to spite her,’ Biddy pursued, ...

Another example of admiration in spite himself (尽管社会地位正好相反)-

"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed" ....His sense of her inferority- of its being a degradation- of the family obstacles which judgment has always opposed to inclnation... He concluded with representing to her the strength of that attachment which, in spite of all his endeavours, he had found impossible to conquer...

在遭到拒绝之后,他反思了很多 ( She had quite some self-reproach too.)

"I cannot be so easily reconciled to myself. The recollection of what I then said, of my conduct, my manners, my expressions during the whole of it, is now and has been many months, inexpressibly painful to me" "By you, I was properly humbled. I came to you wihtout a doubt of my reception. You showed me how insufficient were all my pretensions to please a woman worthy of being pleased" ( Jane Austin- Pride& Predudice)

评分

参与人数 2积分 +6 收起 理由
洋八路 + 2 is there love without struggle?
floraz + 4 感谢分享

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-5-29 03:45 |显示全部楼层

回复 floraz 280# 帖子

Stressful for her or for him, or whoever takes it as a "standard"?

Intuitively I often tend to think "happiness" means to to 'love' effortlessly (Think of the tenderness you have for your new-born baby,  or the thrill you had in the days of your first few dates).

But I DO agree with her statement: 'what real love is. It is blind devotion, unquestioning self-humiliation, utter submission, trust ..." ( What a striking statement it sounds, I know)  "That's exactly what Jesus Christ has shown us!" was my first response. (There is no intension to initiate a discussion about Christianity which is not encouraged by this site, but it seems impossible to avoid this subject when one appreciates western literature, music or paintings)

I remember how absud it sounded  when I first heard "Love is patient ( which means 'long suffering)'". As years go by, I find more and more tureth in it.

[ 本帖最后由 拙泥 于 2011-5-31 20:04 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 2积分 +8 收起 理由
洋八路 + 2 fair comment..
floraz + 6 感谢分享

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-5-29 03:50 |显示全部楼层

回复 floraz 280# 帖子

I would probably call it "challenging" rather thank "stressful":)

发表于 2011-5-29 14:10 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 拙泥 于 2011-5-28 23:47 发表
我这才注意到, "subdue"  (vt.)是有意的bring under control, or make less intense; "subside" (vi) 是自然的 sink to a lower level.

By the way,  what do they change horses for?

subdue, subside, subsidize, 可以一起记了。。

By the way,  what do they change horses for?  -- I re-checked the chapter, and couldn't read of an explicit answer to your question  -- so I would assume the journey to London to be a long one, during which changes of carriage horse are needed to make up for the distance......

评分

参与人数 1积分 +3 收起 理由
拙泥 + 3 谢谢.想必就象古时候送急信,在绎站换马一样.

查看全部评分

英文写作老师
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-29 16:51 |显示全部楼层
60. Preserving her unmoved countenance, and with her fingers still going, Estella shook her head.
'I know,' said I, in answer to that action; 'I know. I have no hope that I shall ever call you mine, Estella. I am ignorant what may become of me very soon, how poor I may be, or where I may go. Still, I love you. I have loved you ever since I first saw you in this house.'
Looking at me perfectly unmoved and with her fingers busy, she shook her head again.  - Charles Dickens [Great Expectations]

-- 这种表白也太勇敢了,要是我的话,我早溜了(装着不在乎的样子)。。
英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-29 20:01 |显示全部楼层

回复 洋八路 286# 帖子

还有SUBWAY, 我说的是快餐

退役斑竹

发表于 2011-5-29 22:02 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 floraz 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 floraz 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 拙泥 于 2011-5-29 03:45 发表
Stressful for her or for him, or whoever takes it as a "standard"?

Intuitively I often tend to think "happiness" means to to 'love' effortlessly (Think of the tenderness you have for your new-born ba ...

I think love should be no burden, tho the consequences of what people do for love can be...

评分

参与人数 1积分 +2 收起 理由
洋八路 + 2 no burden when loved, burden when unlove

查看全部评分

我若不坚强,谁替我坚强

发表于 2011-5-30 10:30 |显示全部楼层
61. It is impossible to express with what acuteness I felt the convict’s breathing, not only on the back of my head, but all along my spine. The sensation was like being touched in the marrow with some pungent and searching acid, and it set my very teeth on edge.  - Charles Dickens [Great Expectations]

-- 味道。。

评分

参与人数 1积分 +2 收起 理由
拙泥 + 2 I hope he is not on a bus.

查看全部评分

英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-31 11:40 |显示全部楼层
62. The silvery mist was touched by the first rays of the moonlight, and the same rays touched the tears that dropped from her eyes.  -- Charles Dickens  [Great Expectations]

-- 雾,月光和眼泪

评分

参与人数 2积分 +5 收起 理由
拙泥 + 2 感谢分享
floraz + 3 写的很美

查看全部评分

英文写作老师
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-31 22:13 |显示全部楼层

回复 floraz 289# 帖子

It seems that "she" is worshiping her lover. I forgot to mention that her statement for 'real love' is what I understand as "real love for God" not "real love between lovers".

评分

参与人数 2积分 +4 收起 理由
洋八路 + 2 我很赞同
floraz + 2 I see

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-6-1 10:12 |显示全部楼层
63. As the elms bent to one another, like giants who were whispering secrets, and after a few seconds of such repose, fell into a violent flurry, tossing their wild arms about, as if their late confidence were really too wicked for their peace of mind, some weather-beaten ragged old rooks’-nests, burdening their higher branches, swung like wrecks upon a storm sea.  – Charles Dickens [David Copperfield]

-- 大树,大风和鸟巢。。
英文写作老师

发表于 2011-6-1 20:28 |显示全部楼层

回复 洋八路 293# 帖子

这句话好长

发表于 2011-6-2 10:12 |显示全部楼层
64. There is nothing half so green that I know anywhere, as the grass of that churchyard; nothing half so shady as its trees; nothing half so quiet as its tombstones. – Charles Dickens [David Copperfield]

-- 绿草,树荫和宁静的墓碑。。-- nothing half so interesting as the usage of 'nothing half' in his description ..:)

评分

参与人数 2积分 +5 收起 理由
Grange + 2 感谢分享
floraz + 3 学习了

查看全部评分

英文写作老师

发表于 2011-6-3 10:06 |显示全部楼层
65. He was a twinkling-eyed, pimple-faced man, with his hair standing upright all over his head; and as he stood with one arm a-kimbo, holding up the glass to the light with the other hand, he looked quite friendly.  – Charles Dickens [David Copperfield]

-- 眼睛 -- 贼亮(不妥,太贬义)闪烁(也不妥,太褒义),脸 -- 青春痘;头发 -- 短直;一手 -- 叉腰; 另一手 -- 握着酒杯。。

评分

参与人数 1积分 +3 收起 理由
floraz + 3 想像ing

查看全部评分

英文写作老师
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-6-4 14:54 |显示全部楼层
66.  I went in, and found there a stoutish, middle-aged person, in a brown surtout and black tights and shoes, with no more hair upon his head (which was a large one, and very shining) than there is upon an egg, and with a very extensive face, which he turned full upon me. – Charles Dickens [David Copperfield]

-- 鸡蛋头。。
英文写作老师

发表于 2011-6-5 12:59 |显示全部楼层
67. Ah, how I loved her! What happiness (I thought) if we were married, and were going away anywhere to live among the trees and in the fields, never growing older, never growing wiser, children ever, rambling hand in hand through sunshine and among flowery meadows, laying down our heads on moss at night, in a sweet sleep of purity and peace, and buried by the birds when we were dead!  -- Charles Dickens [David Copperfiled]

--.......................................!
英文写作老师

退役斑竹

发表于 2011-6-6 10:42 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 洋八路 于 2011-6-4 14:54 发表
66.  I went in, and found there a stoutish, middle-aged person, in a brown surtout and black tights and shoes, with no more hair upon his head (which was a large one, and very shining) than there is u ...

这个形容挺有趣
Extensive face
我若不坚强,谁替我坚强

发表于 2011-6-6 11:26 |显示全部楼层
68. A mist rose between Mrs Creakle and me, and her figure seemed to move in it for an instant.  --  Charles Dickens [David Copperfield]

--  猜一下,如何理解?

评分

参与人数 1积分 +3 收起 理由
floraz + 3 求解

查看全部评分

发表回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Advertisement
Advertisement
返回顶部