新足迹

找回密码
 注册

精华好帖回顾

· 【科普交流帖 无商业内容】 蘑菇/食用药用菌栽培 - 【31/12 主要更新】 (2015-6-16) phorcyas · 老陶也来曲高和寡一下 - 古典音乐入门 (2008-10-5) 老陶
· 金融危机征文 – 天塌下来当被盖 - 11.6更新 (2008-10-29) astina · 9.24 Burwood East 路考通过,超详细新政策下路考过程 (2008-9-25) weiweijiewei
Advertisement
Advertisement
查看: 12211|回复: 85

The story of a young immigrant (so far) [复制链接]

退役斑竹 2007 年度奖章获得者 2008年度奖章获得者 特殊贡献奖章 参与宝库编辑功臣

发表于 2006-12-26 22:13 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 黑山老妖 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 黑山老妖 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
Well, I didn't choose to become an immigrant. Being too young to make a decision for myself. Like all Chinese parents, my hardworking parents brought me here with the best intentions, that I would have a much better future here than staying back in China. Put it mildly, it turned my world right on its head. Moving from the city fringes of Shanghai to Sydney in one day was an incredibly alien experience for a then 14 year old.

First day in Australia was the beginning of last week of the school term. I was enrolled into the Intensive Language Center (ILC) in Chatswood the second day after arrival. New school term started 3 weeks later. First day of school I found myself in front of a number of portable housing. It was like the first day in kindergarten all over again. The teachers were very kind indeed, which made life a lot more enjoyable. I still remember there were two teachers who were a young couple Mr. & Mrs. Fisher. Mr. Fisher could even write his name in Chinese: “渔夫”. I was really impressed. There were students from all over the world. In those days I was the only one from mainland. Students from HK would think I was the inferior sibling they had from Canton. Students from Taiwan would think I was the communist enemy/refugee that spoke the same language as them. There were also students from Korean, Italy, and Eastern Europe etc. To say I was culture shocked would be an understatement. It is amazing how fast people adapt to changes. I don’t know if I could do it all over again now. Time really flied. Plenty of memories from those days, the care free days. Before I know I have successfully completed language training. It was then time for me to face the real world. Chatswood High School, the place I tasted pride and honor for the first time in my life and a host of other bad experiences. This was the place I had my crash courses in dealing with racism, school bullies and homesickness. I also learnt the meanings of “see you after school” and “go home”. Then year 11 came so unexpectedly, I moved on to the much better Killara High School. Thank god for that! If there was one…

During my high school years I realized that there is this thing called culture gap. I was displaced from my old culture and couldn't quite see myself fit into the new one, which I was supposedly to be welcomed into. How could you fit in when others were calling out abusive racist names? Walking on the street, every second day there would be a car racing pass with some racist slur flying out of the car windows. It was a very hard time. I was torn between the two cultures, confused and lost about who I was and what to do with myself. Those were indeed very dark days. Looking back now I realized I was under depression. Fortunately I was quite athletic so no one dared to pick a fight with me. The bullies in Killara would back away as soon as I gave them the look. All these experiences were not all bad. They got me thinking, made me question everything. I became very much into the learning of all sorts of things, which were philosophical and spiritual in nature, especially the traditional Chinese schools of thinking. At the end of this long self-realization process, I came out as the person I am today. I was, and still am, what I had being.

So why am I still in Australia? You may be surprised with my answer, but here it is. When I was younger, I was too busy trying to stay afloat from all these changes and life phase I was going through. After I finally entered university, I was able to go back to China a few times. Sorry to say this but the China I went back to was no longer the China I had in my memories. My Shangri-la had already been destroyed. This new place filled with cutthroat competition, ever more materialistic society and the pollution and noise is not where my home was. China is still my motherland but not my home. Here in Australia is my home. And my wife, she is the most beautiful lady I have ever met. I am so grateful for having her with me. Without her my life would have being nothing but shades of gray.

Oh, did I tell you about all the odd jobs I had done in all these years ever since the second month I arrived in Australia? I would not go into details but I have to say they were experiences I treasure. I must thank my parents for showing me the essence of survival. There is no job too hard, too dirty or too lowly paid, when it comes down to survival you do anything you can, and I do mean anything. So whenever I see people complain about they can’t find any job I really pity them.

This is the story of this young immigrant so far and hopeful would continue for a lot of years to come with his beloved wife by his side and children(???). :) I wish all the new immigrants displaced from their own culture or country, by choice or not, to know this: be yourself and know who you really are. There is nothing more devastating than loosing your own identity.

Best wishes for the coming years and wish all of you a fulfilling life here in Australia. Most importantly I wish you a life of contentment.

[ 本帖最后由 黑山老妖 于 2007-8-1 17:32 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 12积分 +63 收起 理由
jasonliu234 + 4 shanghai boy?
careycat + 3 精品文章
longyu68 + 3

查看全部评分

Happy Wife = Happy Life
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2006-12-26 22:14 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 黑山老妖 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 黑山老妖 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
sf

Should have written this earlier for the competition but I was too lazy. Anyway, now is still a good time to write this. Before the new year when we toss out old things and reflect on our lives.

[ 本帖最后由 黑山老妖 于 2006-12-26 22:16 编辑 ]
Happy Wife = Happy Life

发表于 2006-12-26 22:27 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 ▄︻┳═一 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 ▄︻┳═一 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
All the best to you!

发表于 2006-12-26 22:35 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 ▄︻┳═一 于 2006-12-26 22:27 发表
All the best to you!

Thank you very much. :)

I wrote this because the other thread but by sharing my experiences I wish everyone can learn something as well. It's hard to learn to live in a new country but it's harder to learn to live with yourself ...
Happy Wife = Happy Life

发表于 2006-12-26 22:40 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 maggie-ralph 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 maggie-ralph 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
期待更多“老”留学生们的故事

发表于 2006-12-26 22:40 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 jasonnewman 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 jasonnewman 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
The year end is a time to reflect on the year that was and to be inspired with hope for the year ahead. I was touched and inspired by this sincere story of personal development on this lonely Boxing Day night as I am going through the hard time in my second year in Australia. Had you posted it before the competition, I would have certainly cast my vote for you. Wish you all the best in the coming new year!
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2006-12-26 22:45 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 jasonnewman 于 2006-12-26 22:40 发表
The year end is a time to reflect on the year that was and to be inspired with hope for the year ahead. I was touched and inspired by this sincere story of personal development on this lonely Boxin ...

I am very surprised that this is only the second year you have being in Australia. You are doing very well!

We all go through different phases of the adaptation process. Sometimes it's best to talk about it rather than keep it to yourself. I learnt that the hard way. Hopefully your experience would be a more enjoyable one.

All the best for new year!
Happy Wife = Happy Life

发表于 2006-12-26 22:48 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 小双 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 小双 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
Really enlightening for me, thanks. All the best to all of us!

参与宝库编辑功臣

发表于 2006-12-26 23:09 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 bffbffbff 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 bffbffbff 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 黑山老妖 于 2006-12-26 22:13 发表
Well, I didn't choose to become an immigrant. Being too young to make a decision for myself. Like all Chinese parents, my hardworking parents brought me here with the best intentions, that I have a ...

Thanks LAOYAO for sharing your personal experience with us, and certainly you are the idol here ...

Actually what I initially wanted to know was what experience gives you such an acute insight into all walks of australia life...

发表于 2006-12-26 23:13 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 bffbffbff 于 2006-12-26 23:09 发表
Thanks LAOYAO for sharing your personal experience with us, and certainly you are the idol here ...
Actually what I initially wanted to know was what experience gives you such an acute ...

That is also a simple matter of survival. When there is no one to ask you have to do everything yourself. When the whole family relies on you for everything, you have no choice but to learn as much as possible.

人是逼出来的... Not by choice initially, but now I am enjoying the learning experience. So I want to learn as much as possible.

[ 本帖最后由 黑山老妖 于 2006-12-26 23:14 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 1积分 +1 收起 理由
t_guoguo + 1 "人是逼出来的" have u seen"the

查看全部评分

Happy Wife = Happy Life

参与宝库编辑功臣

发表于 2006-12-26 23:23 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 bffbffbff 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 bffbffbff 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 黑山老妖 于 2006-12-26 23:13 发表

That is also a simple matter of survival. When there is no one to ask you have to do everything yourself. When the whole family relies on you for everything, you have no choice but to learn as  ...

survival...

I've got the same feeling...
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2006-12-26 23:29 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 小四子 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 小四子 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
waiting for the next story..

发表于 2006-12-26 23:42 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 riverstone 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 riverstone 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
路过。。。

发表于 2006-12-26 23:46 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 qqyang 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 qqyang 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
Is there any photos belonging to this beautiful essay?