新足迹

找回密码
 注册

精华好帖回顾

· 新鲜出炉的炸油条!!(又有创新了) (2005-12-13) liz · 小DC 乱拍 - 上海重庆 (2012-3-31) 老陶
· 暖汤系列之一 —— 32款家常汤 (2012-5-22) ayeeda · 【参加活动】一次穷游,天下无景!贵阳安顺石林元谋,大理丽江香格里拉,滇藏线拉萨阿里岗仁波齐~ (2014-1-14) 黄老师
Advertisement
Advertisement
楼主:floraz

英语版活动《我的英语日记\句》 [复制链接]

发表于 2016-3-1 19:16 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 linegar 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 linegar 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
本帖最后由 linegar 于 2016-3-2 19:10 编辑

Men also suffer more accidental deaths, such as car accidents, and serious injuries. They are three times as likely to be victims of murder, four times as likely to commit suicide and 11 times as likely to drown as teenagers.
Both genetic and psychological factors contribute to men’s early death. Genetically, men have an X chromosome and a Y chromosome while women have two X chromosomes. This extra X is thought theoretically to combat mutations that might be lethal or detrimental. And that might be a reason why females have a more sturdy constitution. Psychologically, scientists think the problems are rooted in how boys are raised. Men have been socialized to stand on their own two feet since they are boys. They are educated to handle problems by themselves. Being a man one will not be expected to complain, to ask for help, or even to cry. They tend to be more aggressive, take more responsibilities and take more risks at the same time.
Poor men, you have to acknowledge that you are more vulnerable.

To be continued
Put all my soul into it, play the way I feel
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2016-3-2 19:20 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 linegar 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 linegar 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
This essay is based on an article in NY times. When I read it, I did feel sorry for men. I noticed there were more preemie baby boys than baby girls . In later life, women’s endurance is much better than men’s. I am thinking many of men’s pressure coming from women. Women can easily release our pressure and sadness by crying, complaining and asking for help from men, who are supposed to be strong physically and mentally. Women ask for equal social rights for a long time. Do you think women love to provide our shoulders to hold men? Do you think they will accept our shoulders when they want to cry, or contrarily choose to pretend to be happy? Do you think we women would like to respect a complaining man? The answer seems NO. Then what we women can do without changing genetic background, or just watch them to be vulnerable?

Am I unrealistic and stupid again

发表于 2016-3-3 19:46 |显示全部楼层
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
—Eleanor Roosevelt

Time to replenish the soul of good traders...music

发表于 2016-3-4 19:27 |显示全部楼层
With great regret and profound lament. I have received the sad announcement this morning.
She is a Chinese vocal pedagogue and retired classical soprano. Dubbed by the New York Times as"China's First Lady of Opera" ,she is considered to be the first importent instructor of western opera in china.
Tears stream down my cheeks when I recall the look of the deceased while she was alive. I extend my sympathy to all those who knew and admired her.
She is absent temporarily and has wandered into an unknown land and left us dreaming. She is just away ,singing like a nightingale and winging her way to heaven.
You are greatly missed !

发表于 2016-3-5 19:21 |显示全部楼层
Life and death are always with us. Life is short and weak…… Three words popped up into my mind: live, love and laugh. Living earnestly, like one is dying tomorrow. Love one’s family members and friends, showing them concern and care, giving them hugs as many as possible. Sometimes body touching is more effective than many words. Laugh as much as one can, even facing difficulties.  Those are simple principles. Everybody knows it but often ignores it. Life is a process of learning. Never late to learn and never late to love

发表于 2016-3-6 19:16 |显示全部楼层
Out of the Box often comes a surPRISE!  An out-of-the-box thinker is a risk taker.  Risk takers are always seeking opportunities.
If you have the certain amount of knowledges and experiences, being able to think out-of-the-box will be a plus on your road.
It is always nice to receive a little surprise once a while. For some people, to receive one surprise in life time is good enough.
I always appreciate the moment that my mind was clicked by sth. or sb., or simple self realization.
Risk-takers are brave, confident and determined and aggressive. All of these happen to be good traits for success.

some thoughts
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2016-3-7 19:23 |显示全部楼层
One of my favorite love stories

http://www.oicqie.com/love_1/llszdaq.htm
Once upon a time, two grains of sand were lying quietly on the seabed. They were two feet apart. She loved him very much.  She looked at him everyday peacefully and happily. It was very quiet under the sea. They did not need to worry about any changes. What she wanted was to be with him and shared everyday with him. The dinosaur walked along the beach and left their big footprints, which were washed away by the tide. Suddenly she came up with an idea, “ I should move to him. I desire to tell him that I love him.” She started her long journey. She rolled little by little, never wasted any external power which could help her movement, no matter the power was micro undercurrent or weak swirls generated by swimming fish. She appreciated all strength she obtained.
Time flied fast. Millions of years had passed. She was finally in front of him when human being appeared on the earth.  She looked at him deeply with love and thought about the two feet she moved within two hundreds millions of years. She felt she was the happiest one in the world. They looked at each other without saying any word. Later, she finally decided to tell him her love.

To be continued

发表于 2016-3-8 19:29 |显示全部楼层
However, a strong stream came and the current floated her. She was sucked into a cave. She gave her long journey and her beloved one a final glance. She could not say anything before the cave closed. She realized that she was captured by a  clam, in which she could only feel the darkness.
The clam opened his shell from time to time, which gave her an opportunity to see the outside. She noticed that he was close to her and looking at her. She was thrilled because he was still waiting for her. She did not know how long she stayed in the clam. One day, she felt the calm was shaking and opened his shells. She saw the surface of the sea, the sun, the boats and human beings. People stared at her cheerfully since she had already changed to a pearl, which was big, bright and pretty. The pearl was invaluable to human beings but only a painful accident to the dead clam. The pearl was decorated on the crown. Although the pearl (she) felt very forlorn, she was not desperate. Because she was confident that he was still waiting for her under the sea.

To be continued

发表于 2016-3-9 19:25 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 linegar 于 2016-3-9 19:27 编辑

She watched the kingdom becoming strong and prosperous, then waned and dwindled. When the king died, she was buried with his dead body. Thinking about that he was still waiting for her there, she was not panic and scary. They had plenty of time to be back together again. She traveled for two hundreds millions of years for him when she was in the sea.
She did not feel alone although she was all by herself. Her heart was in peace whenever she thought of him, the one she loved deeply. Hundreds of years later, the tomb was opened. Two ghouls stole the pearl. They fought with each other for getting it greedily and unfortunately they were all dead. The pearl was dropped into the river. She knew most of the rivers on earth would eventually merge to the sea so she hoped to follow the river and went back. She desired to meet him again. Even it would take a long time, hundreds of millions of years. She believed that he was determinedly waiting for her at where they met .
Unfortunately, when it rained, landslide happened. The pearl (she) was buried under the dirt and mud. She was very disappointed. However, she was confident that she still had opportunity to be back since the earth was moving much faster than she did.

To be continued

发表于 2016-3-10 19:30 |显示全部楼层
Again millions of years had passed. The pearl was changed back to her real look as a grain of sand. She would  meet him again as a pure, neat and clean sand.
She heard rumbling above the earth. She was sent in a gold mine now. She and other stones and dirt were threw into a hot jug. Until now she realized that she was a grind of sand, which was composed of gold. Soon she was melted with other small pieces of gold and made to a gold block. People hide the gold in a storage somewhere.  She spent many years in the storage sadly. She prayed that miracle would take her back to the sea in the unpredictable future. Then she would looked for everywhere for him, whom she loved most.

To be continued

发表于 2016-3-11 19:38 |显示全部楼层
One day, the sands between gold blocks were taken out, she had no idea what would happen. The gold block was made to a music disc and recorded every beautiful language and sound in the world, including the sound of the wave. She was freaked out when the disc was installed into the space shuttle. She asked the gold beside her, “where are we going?” “We are being sent to the universe and convey human being’s information to other possible intelligences.” Other gold was so proud, “ not every gold molecule has this opportunity.”
The space shuttle launched. She looked at the earth being farther and farther away from her. The earth was beautiful and weak in the immense universe.  She suddenly understood that she could never return to the sea. She could never go back to him. He did not promise anything but waited for her endlessly. Her history was glorious. She was the prettiest pearl, the purest gold in the world. She had been standing on the crown. She had traveled and experienced a lot. None of other sands could compete with her. Now she was flying into the universe as a marker from the earth. However, compared to all of these, she would rather to be an ordinary sand in the sea, she would rather to stay with her beloved sand for only one hour. She would rather to enjoy the simple love between the two pity sands.
She bursted into tears. The universe heard her crying sadly and endlessly.
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2016-3-12 19:37 |显示全部楼层
I am not really surprised that Alphago beat human players.
A game of go is problem solving with a specified goal and given rules. I even think someday the "electric brain" can independently discover the general theory of relativity by trying different models.
it's not victory of machine. but victory of programmer(human) ?

发表于 2016-3-13 19:18 |显示全部楼层
Congratulations to Lee Sedol !
It was assumed that the Alphago would never be defeated by humans but it appears that a human has beat the machine at least once proving the machine is not invincible

发表于 2016-3-14 19:20 |显示全部楼层
Although Alphago lost in the fourth game,it unexpectedly got a benefit
Because of this loss Alphago officially entered the world of professional Go player rankings.
Currently in the world professional Go website Go Ratings.org
Alphago has been ranked fourth in the world
http://www.goratings.org/

发表于 2016-3-15 19:12 |显示全部楼层
Friends are like books, which need to be read carefully and intriguingly. Friends are like tea, which need to be tasted slowly and gently. Friends are like mirrors, which will reflect the way one performs in the relationship. Friends are like a fountain of treasures, which will benefit one another for a whole life.