新足迹

找回密码
 注册

精华好帖回顾

· 小茉妈全家2020圣诞七年后二游塔斯马尼亚 (2021-1-5) dormimi · 参加活动 -- 我家厨房秀 -- 新装修了厨房之后连厨艺都提升了 (多图) (2015-12-12) triciayi
· 上几款貌美又好吃的中式点心, 早餐餐桌不再单调,附菜谱。 (2014-5-18) fvalor · 【摄出你的足迹】- 参加自己发起的活动 (2013-1-7) 老陶
Advertisement
Advertisement
查看: 1135|回复: 2

[其他] Advice From Employers [复制链接]

发表于 2010-1-7 11:47 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 chenlu911 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 chenlu911 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
Advice From Employers
Employer's respond to common issues raised by students.

Q: Hi, I'm a mature student studying my Bachelors at Adelaide. I'm worried that my age will prevent me from gaining employment. Should I hide my age? If so, how?

"Definitely not. As in all walks of life, there are work environments that are made for different individuals, so find the ones that suit you. Instead of worrying about your age, concentrate on the life skills that you bring to a workplace that the normal 20 something grad won't have. It's also good to consider employers who have some flexibility in how they manage their grads, the larger the grad intake the less flexibility which means less ability to utilise your life skills."

Peg Miller ~ Relationship Manager - Students, Educators & Employers ~ Institute of Chartered Accountants

"No, do not hide your age. Honesty is the best policy and you would be surprised how many employers value the life experience and work ethic of a mature age student. By hiding your age it means it is something you are embarrassed of, and you shouldn't be! You bring a wealth of knowledge to the table and it will always come out in the end anyway."

Emma Kilcoyne ~ Candidate Manager Executive Finance ~Talent2

"An indication of your age, or better still your life experience, will be evident from your resume, so don't try to hide it.

As well as the relevant qualification, an employer is looking for people who have communication skills to work with other staff effectively in a variety of team situations.

Highlight your skills with examples of how you worked and co-operated with other students during your studies, for example, on the completion of group assignments. This also highlights you problem solving, logical thinking skills as well as showing a focus on completing tasks on time - all valuable and sought after skills in any employee."

Ann Gardiner~Senior Consultant (HRM)~Auditor-General's Department

Degree
Q: I'm a bit concerned about my grade point average... I've only got a pass. What should I write on my resume?

"From our perspective, it's not necessarily important to write your actual grade point average on your resume - just highlight that you successfully completely the year and/or course.

We will however see your results on your academic transcripts (which most employers will ask you to submit as part of your application) but your resume is the first thing most people will read and that's your opportunity to up-sell your other attributes, work experience and overall employability!"

Cathy Riach~Recruitment Manager~BAE Systems Australia

"Some organisations do not ask for your academic transcript so I suggest you leave it off until they ask for it. You may also find that organisations whilst screening applicants will be weighing the applications based on 60% on the grade point average, the other 40% on your extra curricular activities such as leadership, community involvement or work experience etc. They are looking for someone who is the whole package, so consider what you can do to make your resume look impressive outside of your GPA."

Emma Kilcoyne~Candidate Manager Executive Finance~Talent2

Limited Work Experience
Q: my limited work experience doesn't relate to the job I want to do. How can I make this experience relevant?

"Focus on what you DO have! Be positive. Draw the key criteria on the role back to what you have done in your work experience. If you were serving customers at McDonalds while you were studying, talk about your ability to multi-task, to cope with stressful situations and to provide excellent customer service. Talk about your willingness to learn and the character traits and work ethic you have that can relate to the new job."

Emma Kilcoyne~Candidate Manager Executive Finance~Talent2

"It doesn't really matter where your work experience takes place, you will have had to speak with customers or colleagues in difficult situations, manage the ebb and flow of customers/clients needs against the back room work of stocking shelves or something similar. You might even have suggested a simple improvement to a work process. These are all valuable experiences and can be used as examples to demonstrate the generic skills that employers are looking for like time management, communication and problem solving skills."

Peg Miller~Relationship Manager - Students, Employers & Educators~Institute of Chartered Accountants

No work Experience
Q: I hope you can help. I'm applying for jobs but I don't have the experience that most employers require. What should I write on my résumé?

My advice - apply for the jobs that suit you. There's not much point in applying for roles that require substantial experience when you are really most suited for an entry level or graduate position. That's step one!

Step two (when you find a job that really appeals and you are confident you have the skills to do) is to ensure that you present your resume in a way that shows the relevant experience you do have. The mistake most people make is to send a generic resume without considering the actual experience or skills the employer is looking for. To combat that:

ensure your resume is professional and highlights the relevant experience you do have (even if is not exactly what the employer is looking for - transferrable skills and similar or relevant experience is still appealing!)

ensure that your cover letter addresses the key requirements of the vacancy and where you don't have a particular skill, combat it with a positive spin! How? Glad you asked ..... here's an example ...

Requirement: practical skills in budget control

* Your response: oh dear - I haven't done that before!!!

* BUT, your cover letter may say something like ...

'Whilst I don't have budget control experience in the workplace, I have a keen eye for detail, an aptitude for maths and have been exposed to financial budgeting in my home life. I am confident in my abilities in this area but also willing to learn to improve my skills.'

It's not ideally what the employer is looking for BUT it addresses the point in a positive way and providing you meet most of the role's requirements, it's OK to be honest and admit that you're not perfect! As long as you are willing to learn and can demonstrate transferrable skills - you are half way there!"

Cathy Riach~Recruitment Manager~BAE Systems Australia

"Experience required for a position can often be gained indirectly from other situations.

Check the skills required in the position you are applying for.

Think about situations during your study, or of work experience in a different industry, and summarise on your resume the skills which reflect those needed for the position - for example, working in small groups or how you managed your time to meet study deadlines and part-time work commitments."

Ann Gardiner ~Senior Consultant (HRM)~Auditor-General's Department

"Aside from tailoring your resume and cover letter to each job application, one of the best ways to ensure your application is looked at is to make contact with the person responsible for the actual recruitment of the position. Often, when a job is advertised, there is a contact name and number included if you have any queries. Take the initiative and phone this person with some questions already prepared.

During your time on the phone, you can use this opportunity to build rapport with the recruiter, ask about the job and talk through whether your skills and experience might be considered despite not matching the exact job requirements. This will also give you the opportunity to explain your other valuable and relevant skills that can be transferred to the position.

By making phone contact, the recruiter will be able to identify with you more and will therefore be less likely to put your resume on the 'no thanks' pile. They will at least take the time to look at your application and be less likely to rule you out simply based on your previous work experience."

Joanne Sims~Talent Acquisition Associate~GM Holden
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2010-1-7 11:48 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 chenlu911 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 chenlu911 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
这个是我从UNI ADL careers service里转出来了,我觉得不错,希望能帮助到大家

[ 本帖最后由 chenlu911 于 2010-1-7 12:49 编辑 ]

发表于 2010-1-7 11:50 |显示全部楼层
Tips For International Students
International Students

Employers from different countries have distinct styles and formats when writing résumés. Without understanding how Australian résumés differ you may find yourself making mistakes which deter employers from recruiting you.

Here is some advice from Eleanor Berry of Living Career.

Overcoming common mistakes made by international students

The Australian attitude  What this means for your résumé  

In Australia employers judge by experience and learning potential not appearance, family or status

Do not put your photo on your résumé
Do not write your parents' names - even if your worked in their business
Do not write your marital status, age, gender, passport number

In Australia people are considered to be equal

Don't use words to show respect i.e. honourable company

In Australia employers want to see how you have developed competencies (skills and qualities) from your previous experience

Write about your previous work experience even if you were a casual or doing a job which was not related to your profession (restaurant work, retail, driving)
Do not write a list of competencies such as 'good team player' - unless you can provide evidence employers will not be interested.

In Australia people can be selective about their job choice. They base choice on their skills, interests, and passion

In your career objective make sure you write your ideal industry and occupation (you can change this for each résumé). If you write something which is too broad the employer will not think you are serious.

In Australia employers want to see Australian work experience (which shows that you understand the Australian work culture)

If you have Australian work experience write this on your résumé (even if it is a cleaning job).
It is important to include your languages as many employers value this. Consider whether to put your languages on the second page.
Avoid writing your email addresses and telephone numbers from your home country
Employers probably won't phone referees from overseas. It's much better to use local referees (from casual jobs or lecturers). If you only have work experience from overseas then choose an employer who has a good grasp of the English language and include a professional email address.

Australian employers don't understand your test results

Most employers won't understand your IELTS score or your qualifications from your home country. Find a way to explain this to them - i.e. IELTS 7 - which is considered to be a professional level of English

Australians don't write about their emotions on business documents

Try not to talk about your emotions and values on your résumé - you can show your interest in the job at the interview

Australian's end résumé with referees not signatures (as people from the Indian subcontinent do)

Do not write a statement which explains that you résumé is an honest and accurate account or sign your résumé.

Common spelling mistakes

Incorrect Correct
Technologies

Technology  
Softwares  Software

References (as a heading for the addresses of referees)

Referees  
Work Experiences

Work Experience  
Driving License

Driving Licence  
Cell phone

Mobile  

One or two spelling mistakes may be enough to dissuade the employer from interviewing you. It is so important to get your résumé checked by someone who speaks English as a first language.

Email Etiquette

In Australia it is polite to ask your referees if they will give you a reference. When you have attended an interview which has gone well your referees are likely to be contacted. Before the employer contacts your referees it is polite for you to email them to explain which position you have applied for. You should also attach a copy of your résumé.

发表回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Advertisement
Advertisement
返回顶部