新足迹

找回密码
 注册

精华好帖回顾

· 在俺娃生命中的头一年(14楼开始填坑,关于sleeping school/15楼奔大头照一张) (2009-11-18) 棒糖 · 祝所有的在澳洲相濡以沫,共同奋斗的couple情人节快乐 (2006-2-14) 无产阶级
· 猎梦人谈如何制定交易策略(祝大家新年快乐) (2010-1-1) 猎梦人 · 简单的给宝宝做年历的方法(不需要PS的) (2007-11-30) rainwater
Advertisement
Advertisement
查看: 2371|回复: 7

澳洲房产专家谈最新利率上涨对房产的影响,以及投资者的相应对策(2006年8月) [复制链接]

发表于 2006-8-1 08:48 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 eshao 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 eshao 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
下面是著名畅销书作家Steve McKnight 对最近利率,通货膨胀变化对房产市场的影响。

eware the Nasty Sting in the Interest Rate Tail

It's been twenty years since Paul Keating labelled Australia as a potential 'Banana Republic', but I doubt even he could ever have imagined that the humble banana might actually play a major part in turning an economy.

Now, just in case you were on Mars last week, the ABS has released data putting Australia's inflation rate at 4% per annum.  The explanation given by Treasurer Peter Costello was that the spike was caused by higher fuel costs (i.e. the oil price), and higher fresh fruit prices (i.e. the humble banana).

Whatever the cause, prices are now increasing faster than the RBA's stated inflation comfort zone, and this means that there is an expectation that the RBA will announce a rise to its cash benchmark rate tomorrow morning.

Rather than tell you a whole lot of economic mumbo jumbo though, I thought I'd share with you something that I only learned last Friday from Paul Nojin.

When I invest in the stockmarket, the first person I always turn to for advice is acclaimed expert Paul Nojin. As a favour, Paul flew to Melbourne last Friday and provided a 90 minute 'locked' briefing to six VIPs.

During the meeting (which I happened to video), Paul mentioned something profoundly important that the press has failed to report.  When I heard what he said, it was like he'd given me the missing piece to an important jigsaw puzzle.  Paul said:

"Interest rates are a function of growth and inflation.  Just because growth slows, interest rates can still rise further - it all depends on inflation.  If inflation rises faster than growth slows, then interest rates will continue to rise despite growth slowing.  And this is the likely prospect at this stage."

Restating Paul's comments, growth can slow and inflation can continue rising.  No one is expecting this, but Paul indicates that it is more than a possibility.

So, in an attempt to rein in inflation, the government may try to put the brakes on growth.  However, this is at odds with the current policy of tax cuts (which stimulate demand) and jobs growth.  With an election looming, the conditions simply don't exist right now for there to be easing of interest rate pressure AND EVEN IF growth is controlled, inflation from non-controllable factors (like cyclones, wars etc.) is likely to continue.

Boiling it all down... 12 months ago, the banana plantations were growing nicely and, while there was there was unrest in the Middle East, there was not the tension of today.  However, what did exist was a new upward trend in interest rates.

In summary then, the killer observation that dawned on me last Friday was this: As a trend gains momentum, events conspire and unfold to support that trend.  Even if action is taken to prevent the trend, once it has a momentum of its own, it will take a lot of intervention to curb its impact.

My expectation is for near-term future events to continue to put pressure on inflation.  Perhaps the tension in the Middle East will escalate.  Perhaps the tax cuts will cause inflation.  Perhaps there will be a change in government at the next election which will destabilise the economy... I don't know WHAT will happen, but I expect the result will keep placing pressure on interest rates to rise further.

As property investors, what should we do then?  Here's my personal list of priorities:

**HIGH PRIORITY**

> Exercise extreme caution and prudent due diligence on potential deals

> Reduce debt, particularly in the following situations:

* Personal debt (credit cards, personal loans)
* Home equity funded personal debt (equity loans used for lifestyle) I believe a <60%LVR against your home is a defensive but safe enough benchmark
* Investment debt against non-income (i.e. growth) bearing property

> Review your property portfolio

* Have strategies for protecting interest rate sensitive property
* Consider cutting the asking price for property that has been on the market for some time
* Re-crunch the numbers based on interest rates being .75% higher.  Act as needed

> Now would be an appropriate time to see your financial adviser and
> review your investments assets

**MEDIUM PRIORITY**

> Build cash reserves.  Cash IS king.

> Increase your financial literacy.  Anyone can make money in a boom,
> but it is much harder in uncertain times

> Renegotiate and lock in employment contracts, particularly
> subcontractors

> Defer non-essential lifestyle expenditure

**LOW PRIORITY**

> If you are looking to borrow money for property, start working on a
> business plan

> Keep networking with people albeit you don't need them now, but you
> may need in the future

**AVOID**

> Risky deals that are cash intensive

> Using home equity to fund non-deductible lifestyle debt

> Quitting your job to become a full time investor

In summary, the financial fat that existed in the boom times will quickly burn away under the flame of higher interest rates.  Times HAVE changed and WILL change further.  It's absolutely critical that you embrace becoming an active manager of your money.  If you need help then seek it out immediately.

[ 本帖最后由 eshao 于 2006-8-1 08:50 编辑 ]
Advertisement
Advertisement

退役斑竹

发表于 2006-8-1 09:03 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 baolqun 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 baolqun 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
有木有翻译好的?

发表于 2006-8-1 09:07 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 eshao 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 eshao 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 baolqun 于 2006-8-1 09:03 发表
有木有翻译好的?

自己翻,不要偷懒。

发表于 2006-8-1 09:56 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 gogood 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 gogood 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
原帖由 eshao 于 2006-8-1 09:07 发表

自己翻,不要偷懒。

好长哦,大早上的看这,很心凉的,可不可以提供一下中文版的中心思想总结

发表于 2006-8-1 10:01 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 error 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 error 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
When would the new interest rate come out, today or tomorrow?

退役斑竹 2007 年度奖章获得者 2009年度奖章获得者

发表于 2006-8-1 10:10 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 休 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 休 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
明天9.30am
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2006-8-1 10:25 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 chenzy0513 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 chenzy0513 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
In a word, be cautious and don't invest too much.

This is a good tip: "Consider cutting the asking price for property that has been on the market for some time"

发表于 2006-8-1 10:29 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 Lavender 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Lavender 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
看下来好象不建议现在购房啊

发表回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Advertisement
Advertisement
返回顶部