新足迹

找回密码
 注册

精华好帖回顾

· 换窗过程回放 - 系列组图 (2005-7-18) leeshine · 老陶家常菜 (二) (2010-3-20) 老陶
· 零经验DIY鸡窝——2月1日更新 拆了重建!88楼鸡窝2.0版 (2018-12-24) Jessica.montbar · 浓香的记忆------妈妈的瘪子团 (2011-9-20) 明河素月
Advertisement
Advertisement
楼主:洋八路

英文小说佳句欣赏 [复制链接]

发表于 2011-5-14 11:23 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 洋八路 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 洋八路 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
45. Lady Dedlock, I have no occasion to tell you that Sir Leicester is a very proud man; that his reliance upon you is implicit; that the fall of that moon out of the sky, would not amaze him more than your fall from your high position as his wife.  -- Charles Dickens [Bleak House]

-- Now imagine this:  that the fall of that sun out of the sky, would not amaze her more than your fall from your high position as her husband......

[ 本帖最后由 洋八路 于 2011-5-14 12:06 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 2积分 +8 收起 理由
Grange + 5 感谢分享
floraz + 3 骄傲含蓄男人的热切爱慕

查看全部评分

英文写作老师
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-15 11:53 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 洋八路 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 洋八路 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
46. I found them looking one another across the table; the one so open, and the other so close; the one so broad and upright, and the other so narrow and stooping; the one giving out what he had to say in such a rich ringing voice, and the other keeping it in in such a cold-blooded, gasping, fish-like manner; that I thought I never had seen two people so unmatched.   -- Charles Dickens [Bleak House]

--  so unmatched.... wonder how they could even tolerate sitting around the same table for a long minute.
英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-15 14:11 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 拙泥 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 拙泥 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
太喜欢这个帖子了, 得留着仔细读. 我也贡献一个:

"Each day, I sacrificed a few crumbs of bread on the windowsill for them. The sparrows pecked away, hopping and peeping. I was sometimes tempted to deny them this beakful of my bread. But each time, I was moved by their tiny birds' bellies. I very much wanted to touch them. Caress their plumage with my fingertips. I never managed this, but it was a joy and a consolation to feel them close by and to be able- I the destitute one- to provide for them and, in my ugliness, to admire their beauty. They gave me the blessing of my tenderness for them" -Lena Costante "3000 days in Romanian Prisons"

[ 本帖最后由 拙泥 于 2011-5-15 12:38 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 3积分 +11 收起 理由
JuJu + 3 感谢分享
洋八路 + 4 hopping, peeping, tiny bellies heaving..
floraz + 4 感谢分享

查看全部评分

2010年度奖章获得者

发表于 2011-5-15 22:10 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 JuJu 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 JuJu 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
Most toddlers have to be approached as you would a madman wired with explosives. The usual method involves a combination of threats, entreaties and bribes. It's much like the US policy in Pakistan. It's about as effective. You then reach for distraction: ''Oh, look! A wincey little spider is tickling your tummy.'' This ploy, of course, brings an intake of breath, as the surprised toddler forgets to cry while considering the matter of the wincey little spider.

讲有时公共场合父母对不给面子的toddler必须拿出美国对付巴基斯坦的办法, 威胁, 恳求加贿赂, 比较搞笑, 也很有同感.

评分

参与人数 4积分 +14 收起 理由
拙泥 + 3 哈哈
floraz + 3 有趣
洋八路 + 3 effective to adult as much as toddler..

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-5-15 23:00 |显示全部楼层

回复 洋八路 49# 帖子

是这样么: 本来的状态一直是被" tied" or "fastened",所以这个"tie"  才可以unfasten  她

发表于 2011-5-16 10:37 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 拙泥 于 2011-5-15 23:00 发表
是这样么: 本来的状态一直是被" tied" or "fastened",所以这个"tie"  才可以unfasten  她

unfastened by any ties of right or wrong:  飞机上的安全带,那个带是 'tie', 那个扣子要靠 tie 来解开,而这个tie就是对和错的纠结, 所以,如果作者这里写的‘解开的对象’,不是这个‘对错纠结’,而是‘languid sweet’ 那么这样理解会不会顺一点? 就是:

languid sweet (金属扣子) in her belly, was unfastened by any ties (布带) of right or wrong.

不过,还是有点问题:安全带解开不是靠带来解,而是靠扣子本身,带子总是用来系紧扣子的。。 现在我更相信是语法错误,作者随意一写,让我们‘纠结’了好长一阵。。。。

评分

参与人数 1积分 +4 收起 理由
floraz + 4 我确实越看越纠结……

查看全部评分

英文写作老师
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-16 10:40 |显示全部楼层
47. The lizards clung unconcernedly to walls like dozing sun bathers unaware of the looming thunder clouds.  [??] [????]

-- 形象比喻。。

评分

参与人数 1积分 +4 收起 理由
floraz + 4 我不是很理解,一个是unconcerned,一个是unaware,应该并不相同吧

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-5-16 15:42 |显示全部楼层
floraz 积分 +4 我不是很理解,一个是unconcerned,一个是unaware,应该并不相同吧
-- 还是你理解的细致,这两个是很不一样。。一个是‘知道而不理会’,另一个根本就是‘不知道’。。不过,不管知道还是不知道,那种‘懒洋洋,享受今日‘的身体状态还是很一样的。。
英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-16 23:14 |显示全部楼层

回复 洋八路 246# 帖子

搞得我也纠结了

non-fasten 是一个消极的词,表示一种状态, 没有被束缚的状态; 而unfasten是积极的动作,解开了原有的束缚, 或者说"束缚放手了,松开了她", 因而束缚是动作的施加者.

用any ties 而不是 the ties: "any ties that there may be", indicating that she might not be conscious of what exactly they are, or even of their existence.

发表于 2011-5-17 00:14 |显示全部楼层
"Some changes of countenance was necessary for each gentleman as they walked into Mrs. Weston's drawing-room;- Mt. Elton must compose his joyous looks, and Mr. John Knightley disperse his ill-humour. Mr. Elton must smile less, and Mr. John Knightley more, to fit them for the place" ( Jane Austin, "Emma")

在圣诞夜去往Mrs. Weston家作客的路上,Mt. Elton因为受到了自己喜欢的女孩Emma的邀请而兴奋不已,而脾气有些生硬的Mr. John Knightley 因为不得不在这样一个雪夜出行而感到懊恼.一路上的对话格格不入,一个在点火,一个在泼水.两人都执着的沉浸在自己的情绪中,拒绝被对方所感染.坐在同一个马车里的Emma感到ammused.现在终于到Mrs. Weston家了...

compose,disperse

评分

参与人数 2积分 +7 收起 理由
洋八路 + 3 for compose and disperse, more and less,
floraz + 4 各怀心事呀~

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-5-17 12:14 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 拙泥 于 2011-5-16 23:14 发表
搞得我也纠结了

non-fasten 是一个消极的词,表示一种状态, 没有被束缚的状态; 而unfasten是积极的动作,解开了原有的束缚, 或者说"束缚放手了,松开了她", 因而束缚是动作的施加者.

用any ties 而不是 the ties:  ...

I like this one: 'indicating that she might not be conscious of what exactly they are, or even of their existence' - a sentence delicately composed, not to mention the thoughful insight into the subject...
英文写作老师
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2011-5-17 12:22 |显示全部楼层
48. ‘Because you have known it perfectly, before you prayed me to give you that information. Because you have known perfectly that I was en-r-r-raged!’ It appears impossible for Mademoiselle to roll the letter r sufficiently in this word, notwithstanding that she assists her energetic delivery, by clenching both her hands, and setting all her teeth. -- Charlies Dickens [Bleak House]

-- impossilbe to roll r sufficiently, 卷舌, 北方人容易发这个音?Mademoiselle 是法国人。。

评分

参与人数 1积分 +3 收起 理由
floraz + 3 嗯,法国人应该比较困难

查看全部评分

英文写作老师

发表于 2011-5-18 09:58 |显示全部楼层
原帖由 拙泥 于 2011-5-16 23:14 发表
搞得我也纠结了

用any ties 而不是 the ties:  ...

最后纠结一下:理解成解开鞋带,好象就通了。鞋带两端(一对一错)把鞋(道德概念或者sweet都可以)系的很紧,那么用鞋带来松开(unfasten) 这个鞋子,就好理解了;飞机安全带的概念不适合,因为安全带的松开不是靠带子来松的,而鞋子却是用鞋带本身来松的,领带也是一样。。  unfastened by any ties of right or wrong...呵呵,用对或错的鞋带来松开这只受到道德拘束的鞋子。。。。