新足迹

找回密码
 注册

精华好帖回顾

· 我对付湿疹的一些经验 (2008-11-27) xinghh · 悉尼买房记 (2007-2-15) 财神爷
· 我们公司的政治游戏-现实就是如此残酷啊 -三年后的更新在162# (2010-2-10) dormimi · 秋末。泡北海道。知床。阿寒。大雪山。富良野。札幌米3 。定山溪。登别(全文完) (2019-10-20) peanut
Advertisement
Advertisement
查看: 2762|回复: 45

[NSW] Single sex schools are of value as students flourish [复制链接]

发表于 2024-3-8 09:14 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 tvc889 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 tvc889 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
这个是PLC Sydney校长的文章,发表在The Australian:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au ... e4e687ca041dae04adb

我赞同他说的各种学校都有是一件好事,父母要/可以给孩子选择适合他们的学校。

In writing this article about the strengths of a single-sex education, in particular, one for girls, I am somewhat conflicted; not with the subject matter, but with the notion that I have to generalise for all children.

The gender of the students is not the only, nor necessarily the most important factor, in school choice for an individual family. It is good to have single sex girls’, single sex boys’ and coeducational schools in our society. Individual students will flourish in different settings. This is also why it is good to have government, Catholic and independent schools.

We need a variety of schools where young people can think freely, feel connected to others, where their own beliefs are valued, where they know a few friends, or where they can engage in different approaches to learning. One size does not fit all. Parents are wise to select a school that suits their own child.

While I have visited more than 200 schools, and have served as an educator in junior and senior schools and at university, at coeducational, boys’ and girls’ schools, my last 13 years have been as principal of PLC Sydney, a school with about 1530 girls, with ages ranging from four to 18. I do not presume that PLC Sydney is the same as all other schools for girls, but there are commonalities.

The joy in a single sex school is in what is possible. Every day I observe girls and young women really engaging with and enjoying their learning, without all of the implicit challenges that come to them when they learn alongside boys.

When it comes to girls accomplishing their potential there is no substitute for an all girls’ education. The amount of time girls spend on task, engaged in learning, able to take risks, is much greater in a single sex environment.

Without boys about, it is my experience that the vast majority of girls and young women commit with an impressive level of consistency to their studies, which enables them to achieve better outcomes.

PLC Sydney sends many female engineers, mathematicians and scientists into our community as more girls select STEM subjects in a single sex environment.

Girls enjoy the collaborative, the creative and the ordered classroom. In a coeducational school, many will not be self-conscious in the presence of boys, but many will be.

Free from feeling like they are in competition with boys, girls commit with gusto to mathematics, English and science, as well as to drama, speech, art and sport. All different types of girls can take the lead in expressing themselves. I have found an abiding generosity exists at PLC Sydney. Academic notes are shared. Students help each other. I am sure principals of other girls’ schools see these qualities in their schools too.

It is my view that it is the academic progress students make in Years 9-10 that really sets them up for success later in schooling and at university. Too often schools allow students to drift in these years. This is the period when coeducational classrooms are at their most challenging.

Everyone is in the long, dark tunnel of puberty, and students are looking for self-actualisation. Some find it in learning but many find it in impressing peers. Coeducational classrooms can become boisterous and boys are often at the centre of this.

In an all-girls’ school, young women are given the opportunity to deepen and broaden their learning at this important time. PLC Sydney uses an enrichment program, an extensive co-curricular program, and we add the challenge of Cambridge courses from Year 9. Girls can investigate and collaborate and try something new. It brings joy. It strengthens them.

On the sporting field and in the pool, without watching eyes, our young women give their all. Without an audience of male peers, they commit themselves to their football and hockey, diving and swimming, tennis and badminton. It is in the crucial late primary, and the early and middle years of senior school that these benefits are seen.

I am sure my colleagues at boys’ school would say something similar. Boys’ only schools can set up their structures and priorities to help their students flourish. As a society we want all young people to flourish.

The academic results of all girls’ schools (and many boys’ schools) are evidence for the success of single sex models. Consistently, students in all girls’ schools perform very well in external exams. And the learning isn’t shallow, “for the test” learning.

PLC Sydney is not an academic hothouse, and while our students do very well at university, our model is to provide a rich and broad education, with many opportunities for all of our students. This helps us limit rivalry and unhealthy competition. Other girls’ schools and other boys’ school have a similar model.

It is my experience that there is a consistent strength and joy in schools for girls.

评分

参与人数 1积分 +3 收起 理由
紫萱 + 3 感谢分享

查看全部评分

Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2024-3-8 10:00 来自手机 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 紫萱 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 紫萱 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
感谢分享

发表于 2024-3-8 10:08 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 Pippa 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Pippa 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
可以读一读,但也要注意这是来自女校(单性别学校)校长的观点角度

发表于 2024-3-8 10:31 来自手机 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 tvc889 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 tvc889 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
Pippa 发表于 2024-3-8 11:08
可以读一读,但也要注意这是来自女校(单性别学校)校长的观点角度

我想强调的是他说的各类学校共存是一件好事。父母要根据孩子选择学校,而不是全都盯着某些学校,仿佛除了那些学校就没别的学校可上了。

发表于 2024-3-8 11:05 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 Pippa 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Pippa 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
tvc889 发表于 2024-3-8 11:31
我想强调的是他说的各类学校共存是一件好事。父母要根据孩子选择学校,而不是全都盯着某些学校,仿佛除了 ...

就是市场需求嘛。也有像我这样的家长,很坚决地希望选择混校

2019年度勋章

发表于 2024-3-8 11:10 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 dondon 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 dondon 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
本帖最后由 dondon 于 2024-3-8 12:11 编辑

自从孩子上了单一性别学校,我好像觉得也不错。
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2024-3-8 11:14 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 rayki 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 rayki 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
稍微奇怪的一点为什么不说single gender 说single sex

发表于 2024-3-8 11:48 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 wuxiaoq 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 wuxiaoq 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
rayki 发表于 2024-3-8 12:14
稍微奇怪的一点为什么不说single gender 说single sex

因为sex只有两种,gender可以有n多种。

发表于 2024-3-8 11:51 来自手机 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 飞飞鱼 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 飞飞鱼 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
Sex只有两性?说Gender可以有十几种吧,到时候掉进兔子洞里,逻辑自恰就得每种性别开一家学校了…….

发表于 2024-3-8 11:54 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 rayki 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 rayki 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
wuxiaoq 发表于 2024-3-8 12:48
因为sex只有两种,gender可以有n多种。

sex歧义更多。 有些媒体对学校的性别都是用Co-Ed or Same-Gender, 这样就更加没有歧义了。
但是可惜的是有些学校和媒体就用single-sex school。 不知道为啥。
我来问道无余话,云在青天水在瓶

发表于 2024-3-8 11:57 来自手机 |显示全部楼层
Pippa 发表于 2024-3-8 12:05
就是市场需求嘛。也有像我这样的家长,很坚决地希望选择混校

我儿子也在混校。
Advertisement
Advertisement

发表于 2024-3-8 12:07 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 wuxiaoq 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 wuxiaoq 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
rayki 发表于 2024-3-8 12:54
sex歧义更多。 有些媒体对学校的性别都是用Co-Ed or Same-Gender, 这样就更加没有歧义了。
但是可惜的是 ...

不好意思。sex是生物学上的定义,一般就是指雌雄两性。所以这种情况用single-sex是正确的用法。这是我都很多英文non-fiction的材料自己总结出来的,后来问过孩子的到确认。您可以问问孩子,他们是出生在澳,母语英文,理解比较到位。

发表于 2024-3-8 12:10 |显示全部楼层
wuxiaoq 发表于 2024-3-8 13:07
不好意思。sex是生物学上的定义,一般就是指雌雄两性。所以这种情况用single-sex是正确的用法。这是我都 ...

这个知道, 我的意思说在现在单一性别的学校中, LGBT这么泛滥的情况下, 哈哈,这么说其实不是太合适的,same gender就好多了。
当然了,其实无所谓,LGBT不介意的话。
我来问道无余话,云在青天水在瓶

发表于 2024-3-8 12:29 来自手机 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 Egmttswr 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Egmttswr 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
我倒更感兴趣校长说九和十年级是非常关键的两年,奠定后面的学习基础。

发表于 2024-3-8 12:58 |显示全部楼层
此文章由 Hillwang 原创或转贴,不代表本站立场和观点,版权归 oursteps.com.au 和作者 Hillwang 所有!转贴必须注明作者、出处和本声明,并保持内容完整
他的立场如此。本文说到很多挑战,而处理和异性的关系就是一个无可跨越的挑战,现在不体会以后走上社会还能不体会吗?为什么在混校男生就一定会成为中心?
当然各有各的好处,各有各的选择。