lingyang 发表于 2013-10-21 14:19

思科打算对nokia,爱立信和亚马逊宣战了

Cisco CEO Chambers: Targeting Nokia, Ericsson ‘Big Time’; White Box the Big Threat

Cisco Systems (CSCO) CEO John Chambers was kind enough to stop by Barron’s offices this morning to meet with editors, roaming across a number of topics from competition with privately held Arista Networks to invading the base station market of Nokia (NOK) and Ericsson (ERIC), to eventual competition with Amazon.com (AMZN) and other vendors of “IT as a service.”

When asked what Cisco’s biggest competitive threat is, Chambers mentioned that at or near the top of the list is service providers who just buy cheap “white box” routers and switches.

Talking about the server market, where Cisco is number two in “blade servers” behind Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Chambers said, “We think if you’re going to win on this, versus white label, which will be our competitors three to five years out, or Amazon.coms, you have to win on architecture.”

“I think IT as a service and white label will be our biggest competitors three to five years out,” Chambers repeated a moment later.

When I pressed Chambers on whether that meant Amazon.com could simply buy cheap boxes and stitch them together and avoid Cisco gear, he seemed to concur it is a challenge for the company.

“It’s more a white label, standalone product that Amazon thinks, Great, margins are 5% — my margins are 65%.”

But, said Chambers, “We’re already training our sales force how to compete against Amazon Web Services.”

When I pose to Chambers that Arista Networks, the Santa Clara, California startup that is storming the data center with very successful products, is the “most serious competitor” the company has, he replies “Not even close.”

There has always been somebody who is going to be our toughest competitor– Cabletron, Synoptics, Wellfleet were really tough originally 15 to 20 years ago. Arista will be in one area of the market, the data center. They use merchant silicon. I know every account they’re in, I know exactly what they’re doing. Watch what happens when we announce Insieme, which will probably be this next month .

Insieme, the startup operation Cisco has funded, will blow away Arista and others in the data center with custom-designed Cisco chips, versus chips from Broadcom (BRCM) that Arista uses, Chambers contends.

“There have been 100 Aristas we’ve faced.”

Cisco's nPower ASIC for NCS router
    Cisco’s nPower ASIC, the brains of its recently announced NCS router, and soon coming to the venerable CRS core router. This package carries the code-name Pita, but it was also code-named Panini at one point.

When I went to take a picture of the recently unveiled “nPower” processor that’s in the recently announced “NCS” carrier router, Chambers offered to show me other chips. He pulled out a bunch, and then quickly took one off the table when he realized it was actually the as-yet-unannounced sample silicon of the ASICs that Insieme has been developing.

Chambers also said he plans to enter the cellular base station market that is the bread and butter of Ericsson, Nokia and Alcatel (ALU).

“We do everything in wireless except for the radio,” says Chambers. “Now, we have a creative idea there, and I’ve just funded our first startup to see if that works.” He wouldn’t name the startup.

When I asked whether there is a real chance to go after Nokia and Alcatel and Ericsson, he replied, “Oh, big time.”

“The market is ripe for a new player.”

Backside of the Cisco's nPower processor.
    Backside of the nPower processor.

Chambers also made clear that for the time being, he has no intention to use the recently announced acquisition of solid-state drive maker Whiptail to enter the storage array market in competition with partners EMC (EMC) and NetApp (NTAP).

Could we compete? We could, if we made other moves, if we bought one of them. Will we? No. I prefer to partner. You never say no. We’ll see where it goes. If I can get the relationships with EMC, IBM, NetApps, we’ll be better off that way. But, you know, that’s a delicate balance, including with IBM.

On the subject of software-defined networking (SDN), router and switch programmability is evolving, Chambers dismisses the idea that parties such as VMware (VMW) may erode Cisco’s equipment sales.

“Nobody has proven Nicira can scale,” he says, referring to the startup bought last year by VMware to do SDN.

“How many do they have in production? Very, very little. Less than $10 million” in revenue, he argues.

For more of the conversation, see also today’s Weekday Trader Extra.

Cisco shares today are off 34 cents, or 1.4%, at $24.09.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2013/09/26/cisco-ceo-chambers-targeting-nokia-ericsson-big-time-white-box-the-big-threat/

商务车 发表于 2013-10-21 15:16

这么说cisco也准备开始做cisco手机和开网上商城了,这是好事,多元化发展。

lingyang 发表于 2013-10-21 16:04

商务车 发表于 2013-10-21 15:16 static/image/common/back.gif

我倒.....:lol

cisco 发表于 2013-10-21 20:06

Cisco跟Google挺像的。
什么都要尝试。新产品, 新领域一个接一个做,做死了就关,做活了就赚。。

aurorash 发表于 2013-10-21 21:47

你们咋都不看内容的啊?人家是展望目前仅次于HP的C家UCS产品,口气很大,不把竞争对手放在眼里,说未来的风险是客户要么自己攒兼容机,要么直接租AWS。跟电子商务没半点关系。

lingyang 发表于 2013-10-21 22:13

aurorash 发表于 2013-10-21 21:47 static/image/common/back.gif
你们咋都不看内容的啊?人家是展望目前仅次于HP的C家UCS产品,口气很大,不把竞争对手放在眼里,说未来的风 ...

也不是,期待11月6日吧
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/cisco-launch-insieme-nov-6

12oz 发表于 2013-10-21 22:27

aurorash 发表于 2013-10-21 22:47 static/image/common/back.gif

问题是UCS确实好,HP只是靠老服务器的装机量才第一的吧?现在新Blade基本都UCS了。

今天看了新一代的HP Blades,跟UCS差不是一点半点

夜游神 发表于 2013-10-21 22:31

商务车 发表于 2013-10-21 15:16 static/image/common/back.gif

叔您识英文不?

商务车 发表于 2013-10-22 08:31

夜游神 发表于 2013-10-21 22:31 static/image/common/back.gif
叔您识英文不?

识得不多:wbs: ;P

商务车 发表于 2013-10-22 08:32

aurorash 发表于 2013-10-21 21:47 static/image/common/back.gif

俺是标题党。。。。

lingyang 发表于 2013-10-22 12:13

12oz 发表于 2013-10-21 22:27 static/image/common/back.gif
问题是UCS确实好,HP只是靠老服务器的装机量才第一的吧?现在新Blade基本都UCS了。

今天看了新一代的HP...

ANZ地区UCS已经是第一了。

lubber 发表于 2013-10-22 12:21

good news

商务车 发表于 2013-10-22 12:26

感觉hp在企业市场越来越没落了。

BinBinGo 发表于 2013-10-25 09:12

标题党瓦